Generator fumes kill two Kogi Polytechnic Students

Two Students of Kogi State Polytechnic Lokoja, have died after having reportedly inhaled fumes from a


By: | on | 3640 views
Topic: News


Generator fumes kill two Kogi Polytechnic Students


Two Students of Kogi State Polytechnic Lokoja have died after having reportedly inhaled fumes from a generating set locked close to the window of their apartment overnight in Lokoja the Kogi State capital.

 

The Kogi State Police Public Relations Officer SP William Ovye Aya confirmed this in a telephone interview with our correspondent on Thursday evening.

 

Our Kogi State Correspondent, reports that Aya disclosed that, the deceased victims were identified as Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, 20 years old, and Ibrahim Haliru.

 

According to him, a generating set was on close to the window of the deceased victims, before they slept off, and later died before daybreak.

 

The lifeless bodies of duo were reportedly recovered in the room by neighbours in the early hours of the day.

 

"There were three students from Kogi Polytechnic inside the room. One Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, 20 years old, Ibrahim Haliru,, and Mercy Ojochegbe. When they slept inside their room, a generator set was switched on close to the window of their apartment. 

 

"They all slept off and inhale carbon monoxide as a result of the generator set that was on. Bilikisu Tijani Eleojo, and Ibrahim Haliru were already dead when neighbors discovered the sad incident in the morning while Mercy Ojochegbe who was still breathing was immediately rushed to the hospital. The incident was reported at the B division of the Nigeria Police Force Lokoja and investigation is ongoing" he stated.

 

He admonished residents to always be safety conscious to avert carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes.

 

He said "People should be very careful once they are using a generator set in their homes. They should give it a distance and also it should not be closer to the window where they are living. Some may say because of the fear that people will come and steal the generator, they won't apply this safety precautions. It is wrong. It is when someone is alive that he or she would be able to accomplish things in this world . Safety should always be our watch words".

 

Meanwhile, the celebration that followed the 4-2 victory of the Super Eagles of Nigeria over their South African counterparts on Wednesday has claimed the life of one person in Lokoja the Kogi State capital.

 

It was gathered that, the victim identified as Lukman was in his late twenties.

 

The sad incident was said to have occurred along the ever busy Murtala Mohamed way in Lokoja when the deceased was celebrating the victory of the super Eagles with his motorcycle before he was knocked down by a vehicle.

 

It was further learnt that, the deceased and his friend living behind Igbo hall, around cemetery road, a suburb of Lokoja metropolis had joined other people to celebrate Super Eagles victory, but, unfortunately, they were said to have driven against traffic, leading to the death of Lukman who was carried behind, while his friend sustained serious injury.

 

Late Lukman, has however, been buried according to Islamic rite in Kabawa area of the state capital.

 


Copyright: Fresh Angle International (www.freshangleng.com)
ISSN 2354 - 4104


Sponsored Ad



Odimayo Olatunde Frederick
graduate of Mass Communication and Kogi State Correspondent of Fresh Angle International Newspaper
Read other stories by Odimayo Olatunde Frederick

Our strategic editorial policy of promoting journalism, anchored on the tripod of originality, speed and efficiency, would be further enhanced with your financial support. Your kind contribution, to our desire to become a big global brand, should be credited to our account:

Fresh Angle Nig. Ltd
ACCOUNT NUMBER: 0130931842.
BANK GTB.



Sponsored

Sponsored Ads